I have been trying to incorporate "meat free" nights for dinner, so what better then to try egg plant Parmesan? I got the recipe here at Allrecipes.com and tweaked a few things, but found over all it was a delicious meal -- and my husband was a happy camper!
What you need:
*3 eggplant, peeled and sliced in 1/4 inch pieces (I only used 2)
*2 eggs, beaten
*4 cups of Italian bread crumbs (I only used 2)
*6 cups of spaghetti sauce
*1 16 oz package of shredded mozzarella cheese (I used a fresh ball of mozzarella and sliced it up in small pieces)
*1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
*1/2 teaspoon dried basil (I used fresh basil)
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (I did 375 so the eggplant would be a little more crisp)
2. Sprinkle slices of eggplant with salt and let them sit for 30 minutes. Then rinse off salt and pat dry.
3. Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, then in bread crumbs. Place on greased baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes on each side.
4. In a baking dish - any size works, spread a layer of spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices and top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Top with basil.
5. Bake in oven for 30 minutes - or until bubbly and browned.
I toasted italian bread and made penne to go with this dish...yum yum!
Maybe I'm still in the "newlywed" phase, but I still get excited about setting the table each night for my husband and I. I'm sure that will wear off once I'm sleep deprived and have kids running wild, but for now it's a bit of a "house proud" moment as Nate Berkus would say.